Sunday, April 5, 2009

April in Rwanda













This historically infamous week in Rwanda is one that brings a number of people to the nation from around the world, while another community within Rwanda departs for less stressful environments. Some of the former group are here to honor and respect the lives lost, to reunite with family; others have come to report on the events within a nation moving steadily forward along the development track.

As I read Melvern’s A People Betrayed: The Role of the West in Rwanda’s Genocide in preparation for a trip to western and northern Rwanda, I can’t help but wonder how this week feels to a former colleague who is one of three youth survivors in his community in Kibuye. I wonder what it is like for the friend who lost his father, an RPF soldier, fifteen years ago. What does this period mean to another colleage, classified historically as Hutu, from the Southern province? How different must that perspective be from someone from Northern Rwanda? How do Belgians, Germans, Egyptians, French, and Americans feel during this week, knowing the role that their nations played in all of this? Should they feel anything about the actions of their countries?

I’m actually glad to be in the country at this time, because the story of how Rwanda regroups and rebuilds is critically relevant to the rest of the world. So many nations are currently pushed into civil unrest or war due to forced poverty and inequitable levels of access. Post-conflict countries throughout Africa and around the globe must re-develop while attempting to sew shut the gaping wounds created during worse times. Can Rwanda serve as an effective model for success in bridging the gap between past grim and present gain? I believe this is one of the questions to which many people hope to answer yes. The 15th anniversary commemoration marks a milestone in contemporary history.

In April, I plan to attend the ceremonies at or visit memorials of the following sites: Gisozi (Kigali Memorial Centre), Nyamata, Ntarama, Kibuye, Gisenyi, Ruhengeri, Gitarama, Nyanza, and Cyangugu. I have to say in advance that I perceive this as something that will be emotionally trying, because I really do not like to think or reflect upon the worst horrors of humanity. I believe and pray that in this experience, I will walk away with a more sincere appreciation for life. The people with whom I am engaging all share that appreciation, and I am excited to travel and to be humbled by what I learn in this month. The truth is freeing, even when difficult to hear. Please be patient as I try to share what I experience and also bring to light the words of those with whom I encounter.

For those who have been directly or indirectly affected by the events the killings in 1994 and all that lead up to it, please be critical of what I write and what I share. In the spirit of those who have gone before us and those to whom we owe our very life, let us be earnest in our delivery and self-critical in our judgment. Today, not very far from where I sit, 15 years ago many were losing their lives while the majority of the world either had no real clue or stood aside to watch. We must all take a moment in humbled silence and respect for each soul transitioned....

Now a moment in rejoice for we are here to continue their positive light through offering love in this life. Let us all move forward with LOVE as the guiding light, as the conquering sword, and as the shield of defense from war and strife. Let that LOVE take us to the present, carry us to Sudan, to the Democratic Republic of Congo, to Israel, to Afghanistan, to Iraq, to the United States, and to Somalia. Let LOVE for ALL humanity bring us swiftly to act with concern for the well-being of those still living while we can.

For those outside of Rwanda or the African continent who do not think Rwanda’s story of distinction, loss, survival, and reconciliation is one to which we must pay attention, I kindly ask that you do me the honor of just reading this blog for the month of April and then give me your reflections after that point.

LOVE
FORGIVENESS
HUMILITY
RESPECT

These are the words that come to mind in relation to the Rwandan April story. May the words, the meditation, and the deeds in relation to this month be deemed upful and right. Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment